Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!

Cats, dogs and other pets can be cared for with herbs, which can have a positive effect on the health of the animals. Numerous species are available to humans, including parsley. Petroselinum crispum is an essential culinary herb used in a variety of dishes. Because of the essential oils it contains, pet owners worry about possible herb toxicity if their four-legged friend accidentally nibbles on it.

Parsley: ingredients toxic?

Parsley is a herb that is only partially poisonous. Pets and humans tolerate the plant in the same way as long as excessive amounts of the herb are not consumed. The reason for this are the following two ingredients, which are contained in all parts of the plant in addition to vitamins and minerals:

  • apiole
  • oxalate

Oxalate is a substance that promotes the formation of kidney stones in mammals. It is a variant of oxalic acid. Many pets are prone to increased formation of calcium-based kidney stones when oxalates are ingested. The greater the amount of peter green in food, the more of this substance enters the body. Apiol, on the other hand, is a substance that occurs in all parts of plants and has its highest concentration in the seeds. However, small doses do not pose a problem. If too much of the herb is consumed, the following symptoms of poisoning can occur:

  • nausea
  • general unrest
  • allergic reaction
  • cardiac arrhythmias
  • premature menstruation
  • premature labor pains
  • liver damage
  • kidney damage

Since parsley is only poisonous if too much of it is ingested, possible poisoning can be prevented in many cases. In the following sections you will find out what you should bear in mind with dogs and house cats.

Tip: A good example of a high tolerance of the herb are rodents and rabbits. You can feed them small amounts without having to worry about poisoning as long as the animals are not pregnant.

Toxic to dogs?

The consumption of parsley for dogs is comparable to that for humans. The herb can easily be given in small amounts as an additive to the feed or as a remedy against bad breath. In general, the herb has a positive effect on the organism of the four-legged friends:

  • strengthens immune system
  • has an antibacterial effect
  • has an anti-inflammatory effect
  • relieves colds
  • prevents urinary tract infections

Compared to domestic cats, man's best friend benefits from parsley as long as tolerated amounts are not exceeded. Typical dosages are:

  • under 10 kg: 1 pinch
  • over 10 kg: max. 1 tsp

You should never add more to food. Fortunately, a dog rarely eats plants, and many aren't overly thrilled with the taste, reducing the chance of accidental ingestion. Since the symptoms of possible poisoning are similar to those in humans, you can tell immediately if your dog has tasted the herb. In addition, Petergr√ľn can lead to vomiting. As long as you are careful with the herb, nothing will happen to your four-legged friend. Just be careful with puppies as they will happily chew on any plant and may consume large amounts this way.

Peter green for cats

With cats you should consider the same points as with dogs when it comes to the tolerance of the plant. Since the house tiger is significantly smaller than man's best friend, the toxic amount has a significantly stronger effect on the organism. In addition, almost every cat is curious. This curiosity that pets have for their surroundings can put them in dangerous situations. The animals like to chew on all the plants in the area because they like the smell. Especially house cats without an outdoor area are affected because they quickly get bored and the plant is an occupation. For this reason, you should make sure that your velvet paw does not have access to the herb if it tastes good. A few leaves do little harm. However, the effect is not as beneficial for cats as it is for dogs.

Feed horses Petergr√ľn

In contrast to cats and dogs, horses are enthusiastic about the herb and tolerate it really well. The ingredients have a positive effect on the health of the mounts and even larger amounts are used as a feed additive. The herb can be administered in the following ways:

  • fresh
  • South
  • tea

The application can be done externally and internally. Of course, it must also be ensured that the herb is only given in between and not to pregnant mares. A permanent feeding with the plant should not be implemented despite the good tolerance. Otherwise there is no danger for horses if they consume the umbelliferae.

Notice: Never confuse Petroselinum crispum with the extremely poisonous dog's parsley (bot. Aethusa cynapium), which can severely poison horses. The key distinguishing features are the pure white flowers and the size of up to one meter.

Sources:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apiol
https://eatsmarter.de/lexikon/warenkunde/kraeuter/petersilie

Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!

Category: