Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!
Granite is considered a hard rock that is very durable and comes in many colors. Nevertheless, in addition to the many advantages that this stone has in store, there are also some disadvantages, which will be discussed in more detail below.
In a nutshell
- Granite is a very expensive stone that is extracted from the quarries and is expensive to polish, with high transport costs
- A great deal of expertise is required to lay the granite slabs accurately
- A granite floor is very cold in winter
- Granite slabs are very delicate and break or scratch easily
- Surfaces polished to a high gloss are dangerous when wet as there is a risk of slipping, especially for older people or children
High purchase price
A major disadvantage of the popular granite patio slabs is the high purchase price. Even if granite is widespread and quarried all over the world, the purchase price can still be very high. This is mainly based on the following aspects:
- Granite is inherently more expensive than other natural stones
- due to difficult mining in the quarry
- as well as the elaborate processing to the plate
- Transport costs are calculated according to distance
- the further away the quarry, the higher the cost
- time-consuming installation by a specialist
- Labor hours very high
Even if the homeowner can do a lot himself, laying granite stones is very complicated and, above all, time-consuming. It is not advisable to lay the panels yourself:
- Granite patio slabs are very heavy
- good knowledge of the material is required
- high precision is required when installing
Other disadvantages could be the weather, because if the patio tiles are not laid correctly, moisture will get trapped under the tiles and individual patio tiles may be pushed up.
Tip: Only if you already have experience with laying granite stones should you dare to approach this. You should also make sure that you really entrust a granite specialist with the work. A tiler who has never worked with the stones will not be able to help you here either.
Not slip resistant
The granite patio slabs are very dangerous especially outdoors when it is wet and humid. Because they are not non-slip and can become very slippery when they are wet, for example when it rains or there is general humidity in the air. Then the terraces or sidewalks can become dangerous, especially for older people who are no longer so sure on their feet or for children who don't pay attention to the wet. Therefore, when using granite patio slabs, attention should be paid to the following:
- Do not use highly polished panels outdoors
- especially not on trails
- tread carefully on the terrace or balcony when it is wet
cold in winter
When it gets cold outside, the granite slabs no longer get warm either. What may still seem pleasant in summer with hot temperatures can be very cold to the feet in winter, especially if the panels are installed indoors. The granite stones have the following properties:
- do not absorb heat
- give off no heat
- can quickly freeze outside
- then become dangerous, there is a risk of slipping
frequently asked QuestionsWhy is installing granite patio slabs so expensive?
In addition to the high acquisition costs, the high laying costs of granite should also be mentioned if a specialist is hired for this. In addition to the knowledge, he also has the necessary equipment to lay the stones. Since granite is a very hard stone, the tools and machines used wear out more quickly, which of course you, the customer, will also be billed for.If the granite slabs have flaws, can I repair them?
Of course it is possible to repair a granite slab with scratches or other flaws. However, this is not easy and not cheap. Because you should also hire a specialist for the repair. However, the color of the granite can change after this repair, which means that the color of the repaired slab no longer fits in between the others.How can I prevent the granite slabs from being contaminated?
If you are careless on a seat on a terrace, one or more plates can quickly become dirty. If the plates are untreated, the liquid or fat will quickly soak into the pores and then be difficult to get out again. In order to avoid this, you should also have the tiles sealed right from the start after they have been laid, which, however, also entails additional costs.Is there anything I can do to make the patio tiles non-slip?
Making the granite slabs non-slip on the terrace is a complex process. It is important to create anti-slip properties. This can be achieved by so-called flaming the granite. When heated, the quartz that makes up the stone melts. This can minimize the risk of slipping. However, the granite slabs are then no longer shiny and polished.