Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!

Broom is a popular ornamental plant in home gardens, but many people are not aware that this plant is poisonous. Although the broom is a feast for the eyes, it contains harmful alkaloids. These can cause serious symptoms of poisoning in both humans and animals. Depending on the form of appearance, the various types of broom differ in the composition of the poison and in its mode of action. However, all varieties are poisonous and should therefore be consumed with caution.

toxicity

All types of broom contain alkaloids and for this reason lead to health-endangering symptoms of poisoning when consumed. If you still want to plant the beautifully flowering broom in your garden, you should first find out about the risks and symptoms of possible poisoning. The exact composition of the alkaloids varies with the respective varieties, but this fact does not change the toxic properties. All gorse is more or less poisonous and therefore dangerous for everyone who handles the plant. This primarily includes babies and small children, but also herbivorous pets, horses, dogs and cats.

  • identify the species before planting
  • Obtain information about the effects and composition of the toxins
  • Flowers, leaves and twigs are all poisonous
  • as soon as alkaloids come into contact with saliva, the poison takes effect
  • Also absorbed through the stomach
  • Poisoning is manifested by severe circulatory and heart problems
  • gastrointestinal complaints after consumption are also common
  • the seeds are also harmful to health
  • Symptoms of poisoning appear from 5-10 pieces

risk of poisoning

Poisoning in adults and children

The gorse has a very unpleasant taste, which normally excludes the consumption of the plant parts. However, direct contact with the Cytisus scoparius can often not be avoided when working in the garden. In addition, it is important to know, especially for parents of small children, that broom is poisonous. The offspring likes to put new things in their mouths and chew on them. But also elderly and demented people should not have unsupervised contact with the broom, as they are no longer clearly aware of the risk of poisoning and its consequences.

  • always be careful when handling the gorse
  • It is better to avoid planting gorse with babies and small children
  • Offspring are particularly interested in the bright flowers
  • parts of plants are often taken carelessly into the mouth
  • in children, the mode of action of the poison is much stronger than in adults
  • the weaker immune system of older people is also a problem
  • even small amounts of the alkaloid lead to health-threatening poisoning
  • Poisoning is manifested by increased salivation, vomiting and diarrhea
  • particularly bad cases end in unconsciousness, respiratory paralysis and intestinal obstruction

Toxic to animals

poisoning in animals

The broom can also be dangerous for pets and farm animals after ingestion. Therefore, the animal owner should have sufficient information about the consequences after consumption and contact with the plant. For this reason, the broom should not be planted in areas where animals have free space. Otherwise, it can lead to them nibbling at the brightly colored flowers or the lush green leaves out of curiosity. In addition, the seeds can be consumed, which are also highly toxic. Do not settle gorse in ponds, as plant parts and seeds can fall into the water, which can then lead to fatal symptoms of poisoning in the fish.

  • toxic to horses and sheep on pasture
  • also dangerous for dogs and cats
  • Hares, hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs and birds are also at risk
  • Poisoning is first manifested by increased salivation
  • then restlessness and excitement follow, with vomiting and diarrhea
  • This is followed by paralysis and constipation
  • in extreme cases even to complete unconsciousness and intestinal obstruction
  • pregnant mares may experience premature labor from ingestion

measures

Measures for first aid

Since wild animals also grow in the local latitudes, constant vigilance is required on an excursion into the countryside, especially with small children and animals. However, children and animals like to nibble on the gorse. In addition, they touch the plant with their hands or paws, which are then put in their mouths and licked. If, despite all caution, contact has been made, then concerned parents and pet owners should react immediately. As soon as the first symptoms are noticed, there is an immediate need for action. This is the only way to avoid particularly severe poisoning in the long term.

  • Increased salivation is often the first sign of poisoning
  • in both humans and animals
  • already act at the preliminary stage of poisoning
  • alkaloid poisoning entails enormous risks
  • Contact an emergency doctor or veterinarian immediately after eating broom
  • quick medical help is the only solution

Safe handling

Safe handling

Many hobby gardeners plant gorse in their own garden without being aware of its toxic properties. Others know about these dangerous properties and accept the risk, since the broom enchants with its bright flowers, especially in its heyday. However, the danger of the plant should not be underestimated if it has been ingested. This danger is given to both humans and animals. The toxin is present in all parts of the broom plant and is therefore also contained in the plant sap. This sap comes out especially when the branches are cut. Therefore, when handling the broom, precautionary measures must always be taken in order to avoid symptoms of poisoning in advance.

  • do not touch with bare hands
  • avoid direct contact with mucous membranes
  • Always wear gloves when gardening
  • pay attention to good protection, especially when cutting
  • do not use as a cut flower in the family environment
  • also unsuitable for people with dementia
  • do not plant directly next to children's playgrounds

Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!

Category: